Karitane Crayfish Meatballs is a star menu item, loved by Baduzzi customers unanimously. If you love cooking, the many elements and precision of this professional recipe is something you will enjoy. So, for those of you who love to cook, read to the bottom first, source your ingredients, note that you could prepare the Sweet Onion Puree and the Salsa Verde up to a few days before. Then dig-out your scales, print if required, roll up your sleeves and enjoy!
For more on Baduzzi click here
Karitane Crayfish Meatballs w Sweet onion Puree & Salsa Verde
Makes 16 meatballs (Serves 4)
1 clove of garlic
200g extra virgin olive oil
20g white balsamic vinegar
90g white anchovy
Make the Salsa verde:
- Combine all the ingredients and blend on high
Sweet Onion Puree:
600g white onion, finely sliced
Salt and white pepper to taste
Make the Sweet Onion Puree:
- Finely slice the onion and sweat over a low heat with half of the butter. Do not allow the onions to brown.
- Add cream and simmer gently until mix thickens.
- Remove from heat, add the rest of the butter and seasoning and blend on high until smooth.
100g pork cheek
1.25kg crayfish meat
½ lemon, zest and juice
50g mascarpone cheese
20g rice flour
Prepare the crayfish meatballs:
- Very finely dice carrots and shallots and sweat them in olive oil, low heat until shallots are transparent, cool.
- Dice pork cheek, crayfish meat and pancetta and mince by pulsing in a food processor.
- Add the mince to a large bowl with the cooled carrots and shallots.
- Finely chop herbs and add to mix with lemon juice and zest, mascarpone, salt and rice flour. Mix carefully until well combined.
- Divide the mix into 80g portions and roll meatballs, arrange on a flat tray or large plate. Cover and chill until ready to cook.
- Roast in the oven at 240C for 7 minutes and serve.
pickled red onions and carrots a few fresh leaves
- Before the crayfish meatballs go into the oven warm four bowls, this is easily done for a few minutes in the microwave at home or by pouring in boiling water and then tipping this away.
- While the bowls are warming take the chill off the onion puree, either heat in a pan or a minute in the microwave.
- Place a good spoonful of puree into the bottom of each bowl and smear it our, add a dollop of salsa verde to each and swirl a little.
- Place four hot crayfish meatballs on top of the sauces. Garnish with a few bright pickles and fresh leaves.
Recommended Pairing: Amisfield 2019 Pinot Gris