Salmon always looks and tastes amazing. A party favourite and available in most places. A side of salmon will feed around 10 people. They vary in size somewhat so budget 100 grams per person when you’re at the fish counter.
In this instance, the Amisfield Rosé is particularly chosen as a match for a higher fat content Salmon. Saltwater salmon is the most common farmed salmon sold in New Zealand. Think creamy pink salmon paired with the freshness of strawberries and a fabulous afternoon.
Prep this up in the morning and bung it in a hot oven for 20 minutes. Equally good cold. Perfect for a long-lasting catch-up.
Roasted Salmon with Sumac
1 side of salmon (100g per person)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon local olive oil (we're using Dogpoint Olive Oil currently)
2 teaspoons salt
1-2 teaspoons sumac *
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1-2 handfuls of herbs, roadside fennel fern, parsley, a little mint, whatever is to hand. Chop most but reserve some nice-looking specimens for serving.
extra sumac, sea salt and black pepper for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a roasting pan with baking paper.
- Run clean hands over the salmon flesh and find the patch of bones. Pull these out with tweezers (alternatively, ask your fishmonger to pin-bone when purchasing).
- Mix up all the remaining ingredients, except the reserved herbs. Rub over the flesh side of the salmon.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes. Pop on the reserved herbs, sprinkle a bit more sumac, and a grind or two of black pepper. Mark the portions out with a knife. Serve hot or cold.
*Sumac is a dried spice with a tangy, lemon flavour. Made from the dried and ground berries of the wild sumac flower. Purported to lower blood sugar levels, be high in vitamin C and chocka with anti-oxidants... Also turns an aioli or creme fraiche into something special and takes most fish and lamb dishes up a notch.
The other two recipes and wine matches in this Christmas Special are:
- Goats Cheese and Apricot Tabouleh w Mahi Pinot Gris
- Savoy Cabbage and Bacon Slaw with Ceres Black Rabbit Riesling
- Shop the party combo.
- Or you could read Laura's Christmas message; it's a bit soppy but it's been an odd year.